Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Beautiful Bodies in SL


I'm playing with Picasa, since they've finally added a feature that lets me add my snapshots to my blog.  The varieties of female beauty in SL are mostly variations on the same Barbie-doll body, but I have to say, it can be quite fun to pretend to be a Victoria's Secret model!  The three bottom photos represent some shapes available for sale; the top one is me, at home in SL.  I'm not sure whether to be happy to see choices for women of color to be female and of color in SL, or to be upset about the still somewhat limited choices that are represented.  Are we really being recognized for our uniqueness, or are we being made into exotic objects?


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Eladrienne Laval said...

Good to see you posting again!

You know, I think I'm just glad to be seeing more options for women of color in SL. I remember when I came inworld in early '07 and it was HARD to find a decent skin. So when skin creators started making more diverse skins, it was like "Yes!"

For those who aren't actually a "person of color" in RL, it is hard to know why they choose to be? Perhaps they like it? Perhaps they feel beautiful? I hope that is the case as I have no idea (as I've never approached and questioned someone about their choice of avatar). Either way, I'm glad there are more options now.