Tuesday, April 27, 2010

President Obama's Visiting UM

I'm so excited that President Obama is giving the commencement address at my Alma Mater, the University of Michigan, this Saturday, May 1!  I'd actually forgotten that it was that time of year already, since I'm so focused on getting my own students ready to graduate and counting down those last few days of class myself.  I don't have any really good reason to be there in person, but I plan to tune into the Big Ten Network to hear it all, and sit in my living room and cheer and applaud and reminisce about being in Ann Arbor.  It's funny how I can sit here and mostly remember good times and good friends and feel all warm and happy about it now, when at the time, most of the time I was wondering what in the world I was doing there!  It was a big transition for me, coming from New Orleans.  First I thought I was going to die of starvation because I couldn't get used to Midwestern cooking, and then I thought I was going to die of sun-deprivation and SAD, but I survived.  Now I just want to go to Zingerman's for lunch!  I guess I will have to settle for sharing the experience with Michigan people in SL, which is the next best thing to being there!

No comments: